Lukla flight update: All the flights will operate from Manthali- Lukla- Manthali due to the traffic congestion at Tribhuvan International Airport. Manthali Airport, located in Ramechhap district, is approximately a 4-5 hours drive from Kathmandu.
The Civil Aviation Authority (CAAN) in Nepal made this update and decision to avoid Air Traffic causing flight delays and a high possibility of flight cancellation.
Note: The direct flight from Kathamndu- Lukla- Kathamndu will be operated from Dec- Feb and Jun- Aug!
As this flight route has changed now, the first day and last day of the trekking itinerary to the Everest region will be like this following one,
First Day: Drive from Kathamndu (3-4 hrs approx) to Manthali and take a Fly from Manthali to Lukla (15 m), trek to Phakding (3 hrs)
Pick up at your hotel and take a scenic early morning drive from 2 a.m. to Manthali. The Journey takes 4 hrs to take us to Manthali, where our journey begins with a captivating scenic flight from Kathmandu to Lukla, the gateway to Khumbu. The sight of the icebound Himalayas spreading across the country beneath the wings of your plane is nothing short of jaw-dropping, and you can look forward to enjoying even more spectacular views over the next few days. When we touchdown in Lukla, we’ll meet up with the Sherpa people and get ready to hit the trail. Lukla is situated at an altitude of only 2,860 meters, and our first day of hiking on the Everest Base Camp Trek will serve as a gentle introduction to the more challenging days ahead.
From Lukla, we’ll ascend gradually to pass by a series of small mountain villages and hamlets before reaching the winding watercourse known as the Dudh Koshi River. We’ll cross a picturesque suspension bridge here and climb the opposite bank to get to the little town of Ghat, where the trail is lined with boulders and rocks carefully inscribed with Buddhist mantras. It would be best if you endeavored to keep these mani walls on your right as you pass by. Leaving the village behind, we’ll finally descend along quiet forested paths to reach today’s stopping point: the bustling settlement of Phakding. Each lodge on the Everest Base Camp Trek will provide your meals and sleeping arrangements, and tonight is no exception. There are a handful of excellent trekking clubs here in Phakding, and we’ll select one of the best for our overnight accommodations.
- Accommodation: Khaubu Lodge/ Similar
- Driving time: 3-4 hrs approx
- Hiking Duration: 3-4 hrs approx
- Meals: Meals: Lunch +Dinner (Included)
- Max Elevation: 2,852m/9,355 ft
Last day: Fly back to Manthali and take a drive back to Kathamndu from Manthali
Keep your eyes peeled for one last glimpse of the mighty Mount Everest from the window of your plane this morning. This is our final day on the Everest Base Camp Trek, and an aerial view of the Himalayas is a fine reward for all our efforts on the trail. When we return to Manthali by a flight and take a 4-5 hrs drive back to Kathmandu, if there is no traffic along the way, we will be arriving back in Kathmandu around 1-2 pm, but it would all depend on the flight time/delayed or road traffic!
If you’re interested in a cultural sightseeing tour of Kathmandu, Alpine Ramble Treks would be happy to set you up with a guide to explore some of the many UNESCO World Heritage sites here in the capital, including the Hindu temple of Pashupatinath and the famous “monkey temple” of Swayambhunath. We can extend your trip to include a jungle safari in Chitwan National Park, a whitewater rafting excursion, or other exciting adventure activities. When it’s time for you to depart, we’ll provide complimentary transportation to the airport.
- Flight time: 15 m and drive 4 hrs approx
- Meal: Breakfast (Included)
- Max. Elevation: 1350 Meters.
Here's what you need to know about the new flight arrangements:
1. Transportation: We will arrange private transportation from Kathmandu to Manthali Airport. Our team will pick you up from your hotel early in the morning and drive you to Manthali. The drive will take approximately 4 hours, and we will ensure your comfort throughout the journey.
2. Flight Schedule: The flight schedule remains unchanged, and you will still fly to Lukla on the scheduled date as per your itinerary. However, the departure time for the flight may be slightly earlier than the flights from Kathmandu due to the longer travel time to Manthali. Our team will provide the exact departure time closer to your travel date.
3. Check-in Process: Upon reaching Manthali Airport, our team will assist you with the check-in process for your Lukla flight. We will ensure you have all the necessary documents and assist you in navigating the airport.
4. Trek Itinerary: The itinerary remains the same, and you will embark on your trek from Lukla as planned.
Please note: We recommend arriving in Kathmandu at least one day before your scheduled itinerary begins; this will allow you to meet with our trekking team in advance to learn more about your planned activities. Staying in Kathmandu for an extra day or two at the end of the itinerary will also provide you with a more flexible schedule if mountain flights between Kathmandu and Lukla are delayed due to weather.